Lotus board service is a significant responsibility. Board members have a legal and ethical responsibility to ensure Lotus does the best work possible for the successful advancement of our mission. Board members must be committed to the Lotus mission, values, and goals, and must act responsibly and prudently as its steward.
Duties and responsibilities as a board member include the following:
- I accept the bylaws of Lotus and understand that I am ethically responsible for the health and wellbeing of this organization. I am legally responsible along with other board members for this organization.
- I am fiscally responsible with other board members for this organization. I will know what our budget is and take an active part in reviewing, approving, and monitoring the budget and income generating activities, including fundraising, to meet it.
- I will support the Executive Director and staff of Lotus in their efforts to carry out the strategic plan for Lotus. I will stay informed about what is going on in the organization and be responsible to know and ensure the implementation of policies and programs.
- I will regularly attend board meetings, respond to email messages, be available for phone consultation, and exhibit responsiveness to requests from the organization.
- I will participate in discussion and take responsibility for making decisions on issues, policies, and other board matters.
- I will serve on at least one Lotus committee and am prepared to do real work as a part of that committee to accomplish the committee’s goals for each fiscal year.
- I will actively engage in fundraising activities for this organization in whatever ways are best suited for me. These may include individual solicitation, selling tickets to special events, identifying prospective donors, signing mail appeals and the like.
- I will actively promote Lotus and the organization’s services and values to the community, representing the organization and acting as a spokesperson when asked.
- I will actively participate in the activities and events of Lotus. This includes, but is not limited to, community outreach and engagement opportunities.
- I will offer my expertise to help ensure the health and success of the organization.
- I will act in the best interest of the organization and excuse myself from discussions and votes where I have a conflict of interest.
- I will give what is to me a meaningful annual financial contribution. I understand that as a board member it is important that Lotus be one of my philanthropic priorities.
- I will complete the term to which I am elected to the best of my ability. If my circumstances change to prohibit me from fulfilling my responsibilities, I will notify the Board Chair and Executive Director.
- If I have a concern or issue, I will address through appropriate communication with the Board Chair and Executive Director.
In turn, Lotus will be responsible to me in several ways:
- Prior to each board meeting, I will be sent, without request, financial reports, minutes from the previous meeting, and an update of organizational activities that allow me to meet the “prudent person” section of the law.
- I will receive ample notice of all board meetings, committee meetings, and special events.
- My time, talents, and expertise will be appreciated and used appropriately by other board members and Lotus staff.
- Opportunities will be offered to me to discuss with the Executive Director and Board Chair the organization’s programs, goals, activities, and status. Additionally, I can request such opportunities.
- The organization will help me perform my duties by keeping me informed about issues in the industry and field in which we are working, and by offering me opportunities for professional development as a Board member.
- Board members and staff will respond in a straightforward fashion to questions I have that I feel are necessary to carry out my fiscal, legal, and ethical responsibilities to this organization. Board members and staff will work in good faith with me towards achievement of our goals.
- If the organization does not fulfill its commitments to me, I can call on the Board Chair and Executive Director to discuss these responsibilities.